FOYA is designed to recognize and appreciate young founders contributing to the African continent's economic growth while creating employment and other income-generating opportunities through entrepreneurship, thereby inspiring others to be founders in their own right.
The platform has developed into a convening agent for actors in the youthful entrepreneurship ecosystem attracting and stewarding access to relevant investors, not-for-profit leaders, influential personalities, and government officials to address everyday challenges and devise impactful, lasting solutions.
FOYA Awards is an annual awards process and event launched in November 2016. It was conceived to serve the strategic objective to retain, reward, and recognize founders of scalable micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs), which have been lauded in numerous studies as the fuel to propel the continent to a seat at the global trading table.
The singular, unique appeal of FOYA is its desired impact on young entrepreneurs. FOYA’s mission is not to undertake the standard, uninspiring, decades-old feting of successful seasoned entrepreneurs; it is precisely the opposite, to galvanize and honour the young and mostly unknown who face daunting challenges to compete and establish their brands in the marketplace.
“The economic success of nations worldwide is the result of encouraging and rewarding the entrepreneurial instinct,” by Brian Tracy still rings true.
Entrepreneurs create wealth-earning opportunities not only for themselves but for others as well. Entrepreneurial activities influence a country's economic performance by introducing new products, methods, and production processes to the market and stimulating productivity and competition more broadly.
FOYA Awards is excited to announce that, following the expansion of the territory under consideration from Kenya, which had witnessed an exponential growth of the platform for three years since its launch to include three (3) more countries in East Africa (Uganda, Tanzania, and Rwanda) in the tough Covid-19 year of 2020, to now include four more countries in Sub-Saharan Africa for the 2021 edition of the awards. These additional countries are Nigeria, South Africa, Ghana, and Zambia.
The 2021 version is themed “BELIEVE” #FOYA2021AFRICA, a true testament to the grit, passion, and endurance of the young men and women across the continent who keep the faith in a more prosperous future by harnessing their talent, thirst for knowledge, and go-getter attitude to achieve their dreams against all odds.
A successful outcome will include:
● Greater awareness of FOYA Awards in the East African startup ecosystem
● Create beneficial relationships with key stakeholders in various categories. These include: sponsors, partners, investor groups (PE and Angel), mentors, and supporters
● 90% Alumni (past winners and finalists) Awareness
● Implement a recognition and reward scheme that results in a sustainable impact on young founders
● Increase the visibility of deserving MSMEs to attract more customers, new markets, and investors
● Build a knowledge network of best practice, allowing businesses to benchmark and improve performance using peer groups in their sectors
● Recognize business realities, helping businesses improve year on year with a user-friendly platform that delivers results in an agile fashion
Our mission is to recognise and award extraordinary young founders in Africa in different categories every year
Celebrate every young founder impacting our continent through entrepreneurship